Friday, April 22, 2011

Day 2 : Rehearsal : Wednesday 20th April 2011

Aberfeldy to Invergarry     -     93 miles

Set off from Aberfeldy at 7.25am and it was a confidence booster to reach Tomphubil on the east shoulder of Schiehallion without getting off to push.  Similarly with the climb over from Tummel Bridge to Trinafour. Then the first push of the trip. (As it turned out this was the only get off and push). Wasn't really prepared mentally or physically for the climb up from Dalchalloch Power Station on the road over to Dalnacardoch Lodge.  So there's me about 200m into the push, when the only other touring cyclists so far, came along behind me.  And I'm walking!  A couple of young lads with virtually no load.  Don't know if it was that or did I hear someone mention "old timer".  Anyway, the red mist (that's the red variety and not the Scot's type) descended and I was on the bike and chasing, the potential heart attack disregarded.  Past them just before the summit. They'd stopped for a drink and a look about. I wasn't fit to do anything other than gasp in air and listen to my heart going, 'ka boom, ka boom, ka boom' at about 200rpm.  I should have more sense at my age.

Dropped down to the A9 and NCN route to Dalwhinnie, before following the A889 to Laggan (for lunch at the shop) and the A86 to Spean Bridge.   I'd originally planned to camp here but as I felt OK and it was only 5 o'clock I pressed on and managed Faichemard Farm Campsite at Invergarry by half seven. So a 93 mile day.  As with yesterday, the weather was perfect, with no wind or rain and not too warm.

Wildlife: 2 roe deer (or to be more accurate, the rear ends of 2 roe deer; a red deer; some swallows; and I'm obviously into wheatear country.  At the campsite met my first few midges of the season.  The campsite was selling Tom Tick removers - should have bought them!!!!!

Again, had a smile on my face all day.

1 comment:

  1. Told you you would manage ok!!!!!
    Looks like you will have a lot of free days in the USA!!!!!

    ReplyDelete