Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Day 6 : Rehearsal : Sunday 24th April 2011

Arisaig to Auchline in Glen Dochart     91 miles

Slight breeze behind me as I set off this morning.  Cool but dry.  So a fairly easy, undulating ride along the A830 passing Lochailort, Glenfinnan viaduct and Prince Charlie's monument marking the spot he first made landing on mainland Scotland and which eventually led to defeat for the Jacobites at Culloden. Sat in Banavie/Caol near Fort William for lunch in a memorial area marking the Highland's geopark status.  It's worth a visit to check out the stone circle made up of large boulders providing examples of the different rock formations found in the wider area.  Rain started as I eat and continued until I reach the bridge at Ballachulish.  As I climbed Glencoe, things gradually improved and on reaching Rannoch Moor the sun was out.  I'd some concerns about using the A82 due to the volume of traffic but with the exception of the drivers of one overtaking bus and a car, who both squeezed between myself and oncoming vehicles leaving no more than a few inches clearance, things were fine.  Tyndrum and Crianlarich came and went and I eventually found a spot to camp by the side of the River Dochart near Auchlyne.

Wildlife:    The main memory today was seeing a least 20 red deer. Unfortunately, they were at various locations along both sides of the A82 in Glencoe and Rannoch Moor in varying stages of decomposion.  Our need for speed!

No comments:

Post a Comment