Monday, April 25, 2011

Day 4 : Rehearsal : Friday 22nd April 2011

Broadford to Herbusta     -     58 miles

Quite misty this morning so tent was packed wet.  Still no wind so the cycling north was easy. On reaching the end of Loch Ainort, I left the A850 and went round the single track by Moll.  It was about now that a little squeaking noise on Wednesday, which had turned into a click on Thursday, now stared to crunch every time I depressed the left pedal.  So the amateur mechanic in me deduced I had a problem pedal and bought a new pair in Portree.  On discovering my error, the shop owner found the actual problem to be a slightly loose bottom bracket. Was worth the price of the new pedals and good chain oil.  With that problem solved, I continued up the A855 passing The Old Man of Storr, The Quiraing and Staffin.  By this time I noticed the wind was getting up from the south, meaning I'd have a bit of a challenge on turning at the top of  Trotternish.  Still, not far to go.  Or so I thought.  John and Joyce obviously forgot to mention the hill between Score bay and the 'folk museum' at Kilmuir. It is quite steep and goes on and on and on.  And at the 55 mile stage, it was just what I needed.  Managed though and still smiling.



The new house built by John and Joyce at Herbusta, is just superb.  The views out to sea breathtaking.  What a challenge. And thank you for feeding me - loads.  Even managed to sit out on the decking for tea.

Wildlife:       The bike issue sort of distracted me today, so the wildlife dropped down the agenda slightly.  But on having a bath, discovered a little stowaway had buried its head in my lower thigh.  Hence why I should have bought the Tom Tick removers at Invergarry.  The removal wasn't pretty and didn't go as recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment