Friday, July 1, 2011

Day 59 - Thursday 30th June 2011

Salyersville to Elkhorn City     75 miles     DFP 3455

Up early, hair done, make-up on, decided on my best side. Ehhhhh, no!  Ritter (Ritt) Mortimer, who along with his parents owns/operates 'Your News Today' (YourNewsToday@Yahoo.com) arrived just before 9 and we had a chat before the formal interview took place.  Covered the trip so far; what's to come; the reasons behind the journey and what I hoped to achieve.  Think I got most of what I wanted to say.  Apparently 'Your News Today' goes out to several counties in eastern Kentucky through the cable TV network.  They aren't set up on the internet yet, so that's not an option.   Ritt treated me to breakfast.  So to Ritt, "Thanks for taking an interest and you've done a lot to helped me spread the dementia awareness message".

On leaving Salyersville I headed east on 114 as 460 takes a more northerly route.  The road was very similar to yesterday.  Stopped at Prestonsburg for supplies and the library, then everything changed.  I rejoined 460 but it also serves as 23 and 80.  It's effectively an interstate/freeway. Dual carriageway, busy and fast. It does have a wide hard shoulder so was OK and the wooded hillsides are a visual diversion. At Pikeville, 460 breaks away and heads east which was my way.



At Belcher, I turned onto 80 as I wanted to camp at Elkhorn City and found a lovely spot by the river.




So today was relatively easy with no ascents of any note.  Tomorrow will be different I think.

Updated: Haysi, Virginia (library).

No comments:

Post a Comment