Thursday, July 7, 2011

Day 62 - Sunday 3rd July 2011

Troutdale to Dugspur     66 miles     DFP 3635

Was a nice sun rise



before I had breakfast with Norm and Kip at the local diner when we exchanged experiences, theirs being far more comprehensive than my own. I'm just a novice compared to them. Think it's fair to say they've walked extensively throughout the world. They are very thankful for being blessed with good health but at the same time they do everything they can to maintain well being.  And it's obviously working.  So to Kip and Norm, "Thank you".  Also to Roman and Max for looking after the hostel which is a wonderful facility in this small and remote community.



Headed off south on 16 to pick up H58 at Volney, which in turn heads east to Independence.  Don't know if it wasn't so humid or if I was uplifted having listened to Kip and Norm but things seemed easier this morning and I seemed to have more energy. Continued on through Galax and Hillsville, by which time the ups and downs were getting more challenging.  At about 60 miles I was about done.  Was then informed a severe storm was due and I'd better find some place safe. This came in the form of the large picnic shelter at the volunteer Fire and Rescue Service building in Dugspur.



As it turned out the storm passed away to the south and I had a perfect evening.  Nothing lost as I was ready to stop anyway and probably couldn't have gone much further.

Updated: Chester, Virginia.

No comments:

Post a Comment