Saturday, July 16, 2011

Day 74 - Friday 15th July 2011

Fredericksburg to Washington DC     67 miles     DFP n/a

I sat chatting over breakfast with Patty and Paul until just after 9 when it was time to head off, especially as I wanted to reach the end of the road today.  We said our farewells and a couple of additional photos were taken.  To Patty and Paul, "Many thanks for making me so welcome and allowing me to share your lovely home.  It was a great pleasure meeting you both and I really appreciated the interest you took in my trip. Please take care and best wishes".

Due to the difficulties following the signage for cycle route 1 yesterday, I decided to simply use Highway 1 north.  As it runs parallel with Interstate 95 I thought it would be pretty quiet.  Initially that was the case and I did stop at a diner for an all day breakfast and pancakes/syrup.  Also stopped at the library in Dumfries as I was making fairly good time.  This was probably a mistake because when I resumed cycling, Friday rush hour had started.  There then followed probably the hairiest part of the whole trip.  Two busy lanes with hardly any hard shoulder and lots of debris.  But then followed safety in the form of the Mount Vernon trail, where motor vehicles are prohibited.



Stopped to reminisce and take in some fuel when I was approached by a young couple, Simon and Katherine who had recognised my Scotland flag.  They're from England, have just moved to Washington and very kindly gave a donation for ALZHEIMER SCOTLAND.  To you both, "Many thanks".

The trail is about 15 miles long and is a pleasure.  Then I had the first view of Washington Monument, situated in the centre of the capital and the point I was treating as THE final end point.



Crossed the Potomac River and I was there.  Stopped for a photo in front of Lincoln Memorial then made towards Washington Monument.



Reached it and the trip was over.



Arrived just after 6.30pm having covered 4687 miles since leaving Seattle.  What more can I say other than, "I've had a wonderful time and have absolutely no regrets".

Got to Cathedral Avenue just before it got dark and was warmly welcomed by Nancy and Dante, two old friends.  I've now got some true vacation time to wander the city.

Update: Washington DC

5 comments:

  1. You finished up! Excellent! This is Andrew- part of the couple you met in Missouri on the Katy Trail. You met Stephanie and I in Clinton and we chatted again in Rocheport. I'm finally getting around to posting my trail report, and wondered where you'd gotten to. I envy you your ride, and am a bit in awe of your tenacity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done!!!!!! Hope you enjoy your holiday.
    JOJO x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was one of the privileged many that met you in Ness City, Kansas with Biking Across Kansas. I was very pleased to read in the Kansas Cyclist article this morning of the successful completion of your trip. Many blessings to you!

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spotted your small article tucked on the back page in the CTC Cycle magazine which has just been published. Wow what a trip and I look forward to reading through your blog shortly.
    Regards,
    Doug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - me too, I saw you in the CTC comic. I've a big trip in me waiting to come out, time and money permitting. I'd really like to ask some questions about your trip -route, conditions, camping, costs - is it possible to email you? Mine is tim.norts@virgin.net. Oh - and incredibly well done!
      Tim

      Delete