Thursday, July 14, 2011

Day 72 - Wednesday 13th July 2011

Scotland to Ashland     84 miles     DFP n/a

I should maybe mention that last night I initially intended setting up a bivi by the river but after about 30 seconds when the mosquitoes found me, decided I'd better think again.  There's just something unique about the buzzing noise made by mosquitoes.  It's unnerving. Problem is for tent read sauna.  Should I go for mosquitoes or sauna,  mosquitoes or sauna.  Sauna got my vote but just as I thought, the minute I got inside, the sweat started pouring out.  And that was with the two outer doors wide open.  Not the inners obviously.  Things got a little better sometime after midnight and the next I knew it was five and time for the ferry.  Third time over in 12 hours and at no cost.  Bonus.  A holiday just isn't complete without a short ferry crossing.   

Followed Route 5, which is also cycle route 76, westwards but decided to go right into Richmond for shops and more importantly fluid.  Another gallon of orange juice.  Picked up Cycle route 1 north out of the city and found it reasonably simple to follow the signage.  Reached Ashland and luckily called into the library, second time today.  That saved me a soaking from one of those hour long storms.  Also had a nice chat with a local who mentioned a church about 8 miles north of town where I could camp.  During this part, cycle routes 1 and 76 combine.



So off I went and reach the Fork Episcopalian church in plenty time to set up the tent and cook supper. 



Updated: Fredericksburg, Virginia (library)

1 comment:

  1. Haven't you done well!!!!!!!
    Bet your cheesin!!!
    What am I going to do when I don't have your blog to read?
    JOJO x

    ReplyDelete