Friday, July 15, 2011

Day 73 - Thursday 14th July 2011

Ashland to Fredericksburg     65 miles     DFP n/a

Set off fairly early and continued north on cycle route 1 which I managed to follow without much difficulty until crossing over Interstate 95.  From there however, I seemed to loose the way.  Not sure if it was poor observational skills on my part or the signage.  Anyway I managed to regain the correct way after visiting General Stonewall Jackson's shrine.  Decided food and fluid were needed, so headed into Fredericksburg where I also called into the library.  Fredericksburg is a lovely town with loads of relatively recent history.  Birth place of George Washington and location of several civil war battles.  The architecture is also worth mentioning.

On leaving town to continue north, I stopped and asked a chap on a Harley-Davidson motor cycle for directions to local shops.  Five minutes later he drew along side and asked if I'd like to stay the night with himself and his wife.  Now bear in mind, I was a total stranger, had not showered in almost a week (the swim in the James River really not counting), was pretty dishevelled and was probably in need of a considerable amount of deodorant but despite this, here was I being warmly invited into their home. As a consequence I had the great, good fortune of meeting another lovely, warm and very hospitable couple, Paul and Patty Fiore, their labrador Kenai and slightly aloof cat.



They very kindly allowed me to shower, eat with them and sleep in a bed.  This on what will probably be the final night of my actual cycle across the USA.

Updated Dumfries, Virginia (library).

No comments:

Post a Comment