Monday, July 11, 2011

Day 69 - Sunday 10th July 2011

Chester to Suffolk     89 miles     DFP 3964

Said my farewells to Iain, Erin, Mackenzie, Lennox and Keeli the dog and I was back on the road by 10.



Took some back roads until I reached 10, then headed south.  I was joined by another cyclist, Bob Mohan, out for a day ride from home.  He took me out to City Point before returning to 10.  Shortly after, he headed off over the James River, while I continued on 10.  At Surry (correct spelling) I took a little detour to Scotland Ferry which was originally going to be the 'official' end point of the crossing of the USA.  Took a couple of photos and recorded the mileage as 51 miles for the day and an ODO reading of 5015.



Whilst Scotland Ferry is tidal and would have done had I been short of time, I'm away ahead of schedule and as such decided to now end the crossing at Virginia Beach.  So it was back to Surry and south again on 10.  Just after Smithfield I picked up Highway 258, then Highway 17 which took me into Suffolk and over Nansemond River where I got a photo of 2 ospreys.  Cut south on 627 where I found a camping spot for the night.  Want an early start in the morning.

Updated: Virginia Beach, Virginia (library)

1 comment:

  1. A huge congratulations and admiration for your stamina and progress andrew. Enjoy your last days in the USA. Bask in your efforts.
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete