Thursday, June 2, 2011

Day 28 - Monday 30th May 2011

Medicine Bow to Curt Gowdy State Park     93 miles     DFP 1639

Up and cycling by 6 o'clock to try and get some miles in before the wind got up.  It arrived just before 8.  Went through Medicine Bow (bit run down) and shortly after stopped to read the following information boards. 






It was then on to Rock River.  Bosler is almost dead.  The wind was just relentless but thankfully was coming more into my right hand side and not straight on.  Thought after Rock River it might be more from behind but I was wrong.  Going into Laramie it was almost impossible to cycle and at one point I had to get off for a couple of hundred yards.  Just to dangerous a crosswind, pushing me into the carriageway. Did notice there were seagulls here.  The wind they could cope with but I think they were wondering were the ocean had gone. The 2 bike shops were closed for Memorial Monday so just got some provision and ate.  Decided to continue on towards Cheyenne and hope I'd get bike shops there on Tuesday.  Followed Highway 30 out of town but then had to go back onto Interstate 80 for about 5 miles.  To it's highest point in to whole land.  Thankfully the wind was directly behind, as at this point the Freeway cuts through a high gully.  The overhead displays were indicating 'Winds up to 55 mph' and I believed it.  Got off at junction 323 and went to the 'rest area'.  Was almost exhausted.  Just sat there for 15 minutes.  Then time to eat and drink.  The 'rest area' and related buildings are super.  Lots of information boards about Wyoming, its wildlife, history, transportation etc.  Also a nice statute of Abraham Lincoln.  



People were also speaking of the snow round Denver and that snowploughs were being deployed.   

Funny how an hour of rest can change things.  Decided to camp at the Curtis Gowdy State Park which meant I had to follow 210 (Happy Jack Road - and so it was).  The wind was directly on my back and I hardly had to pedal, saving the bottom bracket, which by now was seriously noisy.  I got to over 40 mph on one downhill bit of free wheeling.  The state park was just right and I managed to find a bit out of the wind.  



Sorry to Wyoming but does the wind never cease here?  Today was just unbelievable.

Update: Brush, Colorado (library)

No comments:

Post a Comment