Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day 46 - Friday 17th June 2011

Equality to Hartford     101 miles     DFP 3087

Continued east on 13 stopping at Shawneetown for breakfast before crossing the Ohio River into the state of Kentucky.  Sadly there's no welcome sign. 





I then picked up 56 going roughly eastwards into Morganfield.  Called in at library but various emails prevented me from updating the blog. It was then back onto 56 passing through Tilden, Poole and Sebree.  At Beech grove picked up road 136.

Up until now I'd had various people asking me how I was coping with all the rain and they appeared sceptical with my reply of, "Haven't had any.  Sunny all the time".   Things were about to change.  At one little town I asked a couple of girls if they would be kind enough to fill my water bottles.  Wasn't a problem and at the same time they mentioned a storm was due in the area at 4.30 and it was 4.15.  There was a few clouds in to sky but otherwise things seemed fine.  Resumed cycling and about 10 minutes later the wind got up but as it was from behind I just thought of the mileage I'd cover.  Then I saw some people running about and noticed the sky was almost black.  Then seconds later the rain started.  I didn't even have time to shelter.  Ended up going into a culvert under the road. 



Thunder, lightning, storm force winds and torrential rain.  Just as well it was warm.  Still, it only lasted an hour and I continued on 136 to highway 231 and stopped for the night at Hartford.

Updated:  Mount Sterling, Kentucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment