Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day 34 - Sunday 5th June 2011

Scott City to Ness City     65 miles     DFP 2138

Had initially thought of just continuing on with my trip but due to the very warm and generous welcome I'd received, decided to tag along with the Biking Across Kansas event.  How could I ignore being part of such a major cycling event.  And so many people had asked me to join them.  So I had a very pleasant 65 mile cycle, with loads of people coming alongside and chatting.  It was super.  Was also invited to join them at the lunch stop at Beeler.  Most of the people in this little town had organised/prepared lunch for approximately 800.  What an effort.   It's difficult to put into words how cooperative and enthusiastic everyone is and their friendliness is so open.  Camped in Ness City.

Each evening there is a meeting allowing the organisers to provide information to the participants/helpers and this evening I welcomed the invitation to give a small talk to the several hundred gathered in the auditorium about my trip from Pacific to Atlantic and the reasons behind it.   I followed on from Don 'Rhino' Lobmeyer Jr, a young Kansas Army National Guard, who gave a similar talk about a 10,000 mile cycle he will shortly complete in aid of various charities.   Could I please take this opportunity to thank all those present for giving me the chance to talk about a few of the issues surrounding dementia, especially as it relates to younger people. Raising awareness of the condition is obviously one of the aims of my journey.  Again, "Thank you to all".

Updated: Hillsboro, Kansas (library).

No comments:

Post a Comment