Friday, June 3, 2011

Day 31 - Thursday 2nd June 2011

Brush to Wray     84 miles      DFP 1887

Had planned to head south today on State 71 but due to the strength of the wind decided to follow Highway 34 east instead.  That way I'd have a crosswind into my right side. Went through Akron, Otis, Yuma, Eckley and reached Wray.  As with most of Colorado I've cycled through, the land is generally flat with some undulations.  There's practically no trees, shrubs or hedges.  The ones that are here, generally surround houses.  At Wray I exchanges "hellos" with a guy sitting on his door step having a small drink.  As a consequence I got chatting to Dallas Whomble but known by all as 'Dewey' (Probably due to the fact he likes to mix Mountain Dew, a soft drink, with his preferred Canadian whiskey). Ended up sticking the tent next to his house but not before he told me of his life including the navy, his construction work, gold panning (he showed me a little phial with some gold dust) and family stuff.  He also stays in the smallest house in town.  And yes, it's small, even by our standards.



If the wind allows, I'm hoping to head south through Kansas tomorrow and get on to my planned route of State 96 heading east.

Updated: St Francis, Kansas (library).

No comments:

Post a Comment