Friday, June 10, 2011

Day 37 - Wednesday 8th June 2011

McPherson to Emporia     90 miles     DFP 2377

Definitely leaving BAK event today but as it turned out our respective routes were identical for most of the day.  Headed east on Highway 56 before taking the minor road through Hillsboro for the library, then onto Marion.  At Elmdale on Highway 50 the BAK event headed east on a minor road to Cottonwood Falls whereas I continued on to Emporia.  When I left their route I really felt sad but I needed to press on with the coast to coast.  Little did I know I'd see most of them again tomorrow.

On reaching Emporia I noticed my high-vis vest had become detached`from a pannier strap and must be somewhere along today's route.  Just one of those things.  Called in at a house just north of Emporia on State 99 and the lady was happy for me to set up the tent in her garden.  To her, "Thank you very much and the cold water was much appreciated. Take care".

I should mention that since Sunday the temperatures throughout the state of Kansas and probably further afield have been in the high 90s and low 100s.  Trust me when I say, "That's pretty warm when pedalling the fully loaded Dawes".   Didn't know I could swallow so much of fluid.

Updated: Louisburg, Kansas (library)

No comments:

Post a Comment