Thursday, June 23, 2011

Day 48 - Sunday 19th June 2011

Bardstown to Mount Sterling     107 miles     DFP 3299

Hoped to get to Mount Sterling today so was up fairly early.  Just got things packed away before the first of several storms came over.  Usual routine of thunder, lightning and heavy rain.  Was still in the park so I used a shelter.  Hit the road when it dried about an hour later but was just on the outskirts of town when an even heavier storm hit and I had to resort to yesterday's tactic of cape and hunkering down at the base of a tree.  At Chaplin, called in at Miss Denise's Diner and was made very welcome despite my appearance.  Managed 5 pancakes and sausage as I desperately need a sugar rush.  To Denise, "Thanks for making up the pancakes specially and might I suggest you read a little about 'early onset' to give yourself some idea of what you'll be dealing with.  Your friend will need the support".

Continued east on Highway 62 passing through Lawrenceburg and picked up highway 60 at Versailes.  This took me right through the centre of Lexington and the 30 miles further to Mount Sterling.  Will spend a week or so here with Cindy and Gordon as the vacation part of my trip.  This will be a fattening up period and I probably won't bother including these days in the blog.

Updated:  Mount Sterling, Kentucky.

1 comment:

  1. Fiona says
    Well done Andrew for getting to Kentucky. Take your well deserved rest and fattening up period. now I need to talk to you about being too kind to critters. Moving caterpillars off the road is one thing, but snapping turtles?! Also you really must stop giving those ticks a home. Well done, eat well my friend.
    Love Fiona

    ReplyDelete