Thursday, June 2, 2011

Day 27 - Sunday 29th May 2011

Rawlins to Medicine Bow     66 miles     DFP 1546

Left early and although it wasn't raining, it was a bit misty.  As it's Memorial weekend, I presumed lots of places will be closed.  My route should have been towards Encampment, then south over the mountain passes to the west of Denver.  Or that was the plan when I set out.  Just before reaching Sinclair, the bottom bracket bearings unit, which first started playing-up on my rehearsal trip to Skye and had given me periodic problems since, finally became seriously unwell and probably need changed.  A look at the map indicated no major towns on my planned route and as such it was unlikely there'd be any bike shops with comprehensive stock/knowledge.  A route change would provide big towns and also take me through places, whose names were very much part of my youth.   Medicine Bow, Laramie and Cheyenne were never off the TV screens and cinema.  Also, as the mountain forecast was for heavy snow,  maybe the lower and more northerly route was better.  Just a case of nursing the bottom bracket for a 100 odd miles.  First slight problem was the need to use the hard shoulder of Interstate 80 for about 14 miles, so I could pick up Highway 287.  Nobody seemed to mind.  287 was pretty quite but the headwind was fierce.  Just a constant struggle.  Had to deviate a mile or so to pick up provisions at Hanna.  Still it got me out of the wind for half an hour.  Bite to eat and I was back into the saddle (that's me thinking of all those cowboy programmes again).  Managed to get a spot to camp just before Medicine Bow.  Stopped about 6 o'clock due to the wind and yes, just after I erected the tent, the wind dropped.

Saw this little critter on the road.



Update: Brush, Colorado (library).

No comments:

Post a Comment