Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day 47 - Saturday 18th June 2011

Hartford to Bardstown     105 miles     DFP 3192

Set off really early at 5.30 on the basis if it rained later I'd still get in a good mileage.  Dry for a hour but then another thunder/lightning/rain storm arrived.  It's just not possible to cycle in these conditions and I pulled off the road, put on my old ex-army cape and hunkered down beneath a tree.  This lost me about an hour and a half but eventually I was on the road again and in need of a sugar rush.  Called in at a little diner in Leitchfield and ordered pancakes and syrup.  Whilst munching, I noticed from the map there was a time zone change a few miles ahead and turned to a family sitting next to me to ask them about it.  We had a nice chat including my trip and on them leaving and without mentioning, they paid for my breakfast.  So to Mr Wallace Anderson, his wife and daughter, "Thank you very much.  Although there was no need, it was appreciated".

Continued east on Highway 62 and on entering Hardin County crossed from Central to Eastern Time which meant I lost another hour. Sadly again, there's no actual sign.



On approaching Elizabethtown I encountered a little critter on the roadway.  Now I'm that type of person who stops and moves such critters but on this occasion I nearly did so at a cost.  Whilst this sort of looks like a small turtle, it's got a serious attitude problem. Its head is fast (very fast), has a beak or what passes for a beak and was very ungrateful when I moved it to a safer area.  Thankfully my fingers were faster than its head.  I'm told it is a snapping turtle which I'm sure I've seen on TV.  Ended up I had to use my foot to shove it to the side and my trainer ended up taking the 'snaps'.  It also has a neat trick when its on its back and despite being encase in a hard shell with its 4 feet, tail and neck/head off the ground, it is somehow able to flick itself upright again.



Finished the day by camping in Bardstown next to a State Park.

Updated:  Mount Sterling, Kentucky.

1 comment:

  1. Well, glad to see your still having fun & meeting nice people. Like your pics!!!

    JOJO x

    ReplyDelete