Thursday, June 16, 2011

Day 39 - Friday 10th June 2011

Ottawa to Urich     83 miles     DFP 2532

So there's me, just up and outside the tent having a  yawn, stretch and scratch.  You know, just what all guys do first thing.     GULP - the tree right next to the one I'm under has a rather large branch (limb would be a better word) lying on the grass directly below it and I can't remember seeing it there last night when I arrived.  Had a look and sure enough, it obviously came down during the night.  Glad I hadn't picked that tree.



Quick trip to the library to update blog and check mail, then eastwards on State 68 calling in at the visitor centre for Missouri maps.  This side of Kansas is far more undulating and has many more trees.  More like home.  Also been hearing this very loud buzzing noise from the trees and fields but can't work out what's causing it.  Bought lunch at Louisburg and on leaving Price Choppers a guy asked me about my trip and gave me 10 dollars for ALZHEIMERS SCOTLAND.  Very much appreciated.   Another quick trip to the library.

Crossed over into Missouri shortly after and used State 2 to reach the combined Highway 71/State 7.  What a shock.  The first 70 limit since I started trip and the hard shoulder is very poor with lots of debris and potholes.  It's busy and very fast.  This is a big change from all the previous states.

 

I'm heading for Clinton, which is a change of plan.  All the people I spoke to in BAK recommended I use the KATY trail to St Louis.  It's all off road and uses old railway lines.  Stopped at a Casey's in Urich and a guy offered his garden as a camping spot.  So it was along to Eighth Street where I spent a pleasant few hours chatting to the family and numerous dogs and cats before settling down for the night. 

Updated: Murphysboro, Illinois (library)

No comments:

Post a Comment