Saturday, May 14, 2011

Day 11 - Friday 13th May 2011

Spokane to Newport     56.5 miles     MFP 530

In the morning there was heavy frost on the tent and grass, maybe explaining my appendage.  Started out on the Centenial Bicycle trail but as I couldn't be certain where it ended, reverted to my original plan to follow Highway 2 north.  Had to call in at a Wal Mart as one of the arms on my Oakley sunglasses had broken.  So much for quality.  Bought a pair of Foster Grant's at 15 dollars and they're probably more up to the job.  Found the wind had changed during the night and was now in my face from the north, probably explaining the heavy frost.  On passing Diamond Lake saw my first bald eagle flying overhead. Decided to spend the night at Newport and as I was looking about, a young man stopped me, asked if I was camping and offered me the use of their back lawn to erect the tent. Brett introduced me to his wife Mindee, their little boy Jacob and Traipsie the dog.  It addition to the use of their lawn, they insisted I made their home, my own.  So a shower was obviously in order, as I didn't want to be totally antisocial, laundered my clothes and was invited to eat with them.  What a super, super young family.  So to Mindee, Brett, Jacob and not excluding Traipsie, "May I wish you all the success for the future and in particular, your move to the woods.  It will be the correct environment for Jacob.  Please take care".

No comments:

Post a Comment