Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Day 25 - Friday 27th May 2011

Dubios to Sweetwater Station Junction     116 miles     DFP 1392

Had breakfast at the 'Cowboy' restaurant served by a Campbell who also had some Irish in him.  He did know the Campbells were from Argyle. The hills here are a deep orange sandstone.





Headed east on 287 with a fantastic tail wind and caught up with Chris, a mid 30 year old who was cycling between Eugene on the Pacific and Denver.  Was between jobs, having finished working for the New York Mayor's office and commencing a new contract with a Russian bank in Russia.  Managed first 40 miles in 3 hours but I then had my first experience of  'bonk'.  Was half way up a long gradual incline and all of a sudden there was just no fuel in the tank and I had to stop and eat.  Chris pressed on. As I approached Lander, spoke to a guy who was cycling from Argentina to Alaska, having set out 18 months ago.  And was he carrying a load!  It was Subway time at Lander, then the library but shouldn't have bothered as it shut 20 minutes after I arrived.  Bummer, or so I thought initially. Saw there was possible camping at Sweetwater Station Junction, so set off for a 30 mile evening ride.  Past site of Wyoming's first oil well. Wind still at my tail and then reached today's one and only serious climb from Beaver Creek to Beaver Rim.  A few zig-zags meant I was repeatedly getting a head or cross wind.  Not what you want after 100 miles on a loaded bike.  Still the view from Beaver Rim back to the Wind River valley which I'd cycled through all day was worth it.  Reached the rest area at Sweetwater Station Junction and managed to camp just before dark. 



Just as well I didn't spend time at the library.

Updated:  Cheyenne, Wyoming (library).

No comments:

Post a Comment