Sunday, May 8, 2011

Day 4 : Friday 6th May 2011

Clallam Bay - Sequim   85 miles                                                     (DFP 103)

Started with a leisurely breakfast, listening to Bill and Joan's stories of living and working in the area.  The expeditions into the Olympics, Bill's canoe building expertise and their involvement with the local people.  Could have listened for ages. Eventually dragged myself away and after taking some photos,



headed through Clallam Bay. Shortly after, it started raining.  All part of what I expected. State road 112 doesn't have a wide hard shoulder, so traffic passes much closer but there's not a lot of it.  The timber trucks are a bit scary but as they can be heard coming from way back, there's time to take up a safe position.  By the time I was returning through Port Angeles and Sequim, I think it's safe to say I was 'drookit'.  Wet through and through.  Camped at Sequim Bay State Park on the edge of Sequim Bay.  Got the tent up just as it was getting dark.  Then went for a shower (if I wasn't wet enough) and came out no more than 10 minutes later to find it was pitch dark.  Tent was only 50 yards away but could I find it. Nope. It was so dark, I couldn't even follow the tarred track to it.  Fumbled about for about 15 minutes before stumbling on to it.  Bit of a relief.  I'm now reliably informed there's very little twilight here and when in a forest or woodland it gets very dark, very quickly. One minute it's light the next it's dark, so lesson seems to be, always have a torch handy.   It was during today, I regretted not taking photos on Wednesday because today the mountains weren't even visible due to the low cloud and rain.  I also noticed the bike's bottom bracket was beginning to play-up again, with every now and again a few clicks or creaks being evident.

Updated: Poulsbo, Washington.

No comments:

Post a Comment