Saturday, May 21, 2011

Day 16 - Wednesday 18th May 2011

Missoula to Darby     74 miles     DFP 830

Over breakfast coffee, John asked if I'd maybe visit Willard School and speak to some students whom he takes trail riding and teaches cycle mechanics. I jumped at the chance.   The students got to see the bike set up with all the gear and we chatted about my trip and the opportunities biking provides.  So to Ben, Chad, Jake and Kyle, thanks for letting me be part of the class for an hour.  And be your interest BMX, trail, or touring, just go for it.  You couldn't have a better mentor than John.  Also, to John, Emily, Jef and Molly, "Thanks for being so openly warm and hospitable.  I wish you all well".  I should also thank the puncture I had yesterday, because had that not happened, I'd have missed so much and would be without a new spare, folding tyre.

Called in at a bank on the way out of town to resupply the wallet and then retraced my route to Lolo where I picked up the bike trail beside Highway 93 to Hamilton where I bought a couple of submarines for the next few days and called in at the local library.   I was following the Bitterroot River with the Bitterroot Mountains to the east.



Continued south on 93 to Hannon Memorial camping site where the tent went up beside the East Fork river.



I was told today is my last flat day and that appears correct.  93 follows the Bitterroot River and to the west (my right hand side) is the Bitterroot mountains, which are still snow topped and beautiful.  On the road I saw my fist wild turkeys.

Updated: Dillon, Montana (library).

No comments:

Post a Comment