Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day 15 - Tuesday 17th May 2011

Missoula to Missoula     38 miles    DFP 756 (see below)

Up early as I wanted to wander round Missoula.  It was below freezing, so had to visit Wal Mart for a pair of gloves.  Called in at the Adventure Cycling Association (www.adventurecycling.org/sg)  which is based in the city.  Very warm reception from two ladies who plied me with cookies and took my photo and pinned it to the wall along with  hundreds of other cyclists who had visited the office. 



On hearing of the reasons for my trip Greg Spile asked me to return in the afternoon for a more formal photo thing and to give a little written resume.  He's compiling a database of more notable bike trips both in the US and world wild and apparently my reasons fitted the criteria. 

After being plied with more cookies and ice cream, I left Missoula along Highway 93 for Lolo.  About 8 miles out the bike had its first ever puncture.  Bit disappointing on a brand new Schwalbe 'Marathon' with only 1700 miles done.  This mishap however turned out to have a very positive outcome.  On doing the repair, found two other cuts (probably glass) which meant a return to Missoula for a replacement.  Got back too late for the shops but started going round them to note opening times.  Was fortunate enough to meet John Thomas who is a mechanic at the Bicycle Hangar (http://www.bicycle-hangar.com/).  About half an hour later, past him again walking his dog and he invited me to stay overnight in his camper van.  Met Emily (John's wife), Jef (John's brother) and Molly (Jef's g/f).  Also had shower (first in a few days) and shared their dinner.  My contribution was some beer from the local store.  I also managed to get a new tyre.  So all in all a worthwhile puncture and there's an addition positive aspect to come in the morning.



1) Despite having covered 38 miles today I haven't added to my DFP as I didn't actually make any progress.

2) Little clarification of my toileting issue yesterday.  I didn't end up bearing all by the side of the road but did come close.  I actually managed to find a medium sized shrub/bush about 50 yards from the road.  It was my half walk/half trot to the bush which  probably made my predicament plainly obvious.

Updated: Missoula, Montana (Library).

2 comments:

  1. Just have to leave a comment so you know that I am reading your BLOG!!!! Hope you din't have any beer!!!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,Tried commenting but wouldnt let me so apoplogies if this is a repeat. Can't wait to get onto my laptop at night to check on your progress. I'm fascinated by the places, climate,landscapes..it's all a geographer's paradise. (Sad..I know) Love the names..it's like out of a Wild West movie. Do't suppose there's any handsome cowboys though (for me not you daftee). Great mileage shame about that wind...the cyclists menace! Breaking news Lidl got bike stuff. Wow only got socks and that saddle repair kit (the one you've got that I coveted).God speed that man. Just remember say yes to Bison burgers but no to ice Fx

    ReplyDelete