Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Day 26 - Saturday 28th May 2011

Sweetwater Station Junction to Rawlins     88 miles    DFP 1480

Looked in the mirror at the rest area and realised I must have lost at least a stone!!!  On the plus side my chronic lower back pain is gone. Did the 19 miles to Jeffrey City where I had breakfast in the Split Rock Cafe/Bar run by Vikky.  Chris, who had also reached Sweetwater Station Junction and camped at a Mormon centre, was just leaving.  Had the usual scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, sausage, toast etc but still feeling a little peckish and remembering my mirror image, I asked about the 'mid stack' of pancakes.  They're described as HUGE. Vikky gave me a knowing smile and told me nobody had managed to finish a 'mid stack'.  Well they have now!!!!!    This bar/cafe can truely be described as the centre of this little community.  A former uranium mining town of 5000, there's now just over 150, including the surrounding ranches.  It's where locals come for news; to eat; the US Mail service drops here; they run a web newspage and operate a local weather forecast system.  Sadly, other than myself and Chris, only two other motorists stopped and they only bought 1 dollar coffees to take away. 

Back on the road and crossed the Continental Divide again, although this time it's hardly noticeable.



Had a 3pm lunch at the Anna Lope cafe.  The Continental Divide actually separates way to the west of here and I initially had difficulty working out how this happens.  But now having seen it, it's like being in a large pudding plate with hills all round.  Crossed the Divide again shortly after but didn't stop for a photo as it was now pouring and I was soaked.  Got to Rawlins and had to use a motel.  The first so far.  The 'Jade Lodge' motel was not ideal but any port in a storm.  Still it gave me a bath. 

Updated: Cheyenne, Wyoming (library)

1 comment:

  1. I've been playing catch up reading your blog today and really enjoying it. You're tales of food are like torture though as I'm dieting for the summer at the moment. But that's not a complaint.

    It's made me realise I need to do something like this too.

    Keep posting. I'm sure there's many more reading than you realise.

    Andy (Osaka)

    ReplyDelete