Friday, May 6, 2011

Day 2 - Wednesday 4th May 2011

Poulsbo to Joyce            90 miles

Got the bike and panniers set up and all was fine.  Out to the road but after a couple of trips round the turning circle, realised I was going clockwise instead of anticlockwise to be on the correct side of the road.  Ron made breakfast and I was off.   Only got 50 yards before I was stopped.  By the view!  From the end of the street the whole of the Olympic mountains range is visible but this morning it was only the summits poking above low cloud.  Breathtaking and what a start.  Headed west, crossing the Hood Canal floating bridge, before passing Discovery Bay. 



On reaching Sequim Bay I came across the Olympic Discovery Trail which is for walkers and cyclists only.  It's 30(ish) miles long, has a mainly tarred surface but with some wooden bridges and walkways. At Sequim, I stopped to eat.  A muckle roll, filled with loads of cold meats, salad and relishes.  Weighed a ton.  Loads of calories and carbs.  Also called in at a bike shop (Chamois Butt'r - tlc of nether region) and an outdoor shop (burner and gas) in Port Angeles.

Found the Salt Creek recreation area campsite near Joyce at the end of a wonderful day.  Sunshine and no rain or wind. Only mistake was not taking any photos.  Made the decision to pick the locations today and take the pictures on my return in a couple of days when I'd have more time.  What do they say about striking when the iron is hot!  I found no problems with cycling on the main Highways as they all have hard shoulders which are generally 2 to 3 yards wide, giving loads of room from the vehicles. What a difference from the A82!!!!!Super.

Updated: Clallam Bay, Washington (library).

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew, just found your blogspot so will keep up to date regularly. Delighted to see you've discovered the joys of Chamoi buttr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrew, Hope your still getting notifications on this! I have just discovered your blog and started reading it this weekend and was wondering what equipment you used. Is their a gear list somewhere I have missed? By the way, I must say, your writing still is great to read and I am enjoying it immensely.

    ReplyDelete