Monday, May 16, 2011

Day 13 - Sunday 15th May 2011

Idaho/Montana border to Eddy     67 miles     DFP 664

Within 2 miles of setting off this morning, I'd left Idaho and entered Montana. 



Just 24 hours in Idaho, so that's 2 states down with 8 still to go.  Also gone from Pacific Time to Mountain Time.  Meant losing one hour but couldn't decide whether it should be cycling time, sleeping time or eating time, so settled on 20 minutes from each.  The Idaho sign I noticed was riddled by small bullet holes but the Montana one had far fewer, so didn't know if I should read anything into that.  "I'm sure I've got a Montana flag and kevlar jacket in one of my panniers".  Called in at Trout Creek for lunch and the waitress asked what I thought of the constant wind.  Told her it wasn't a problem, just I was going the wrong way.  It has been a bit breezy since I reached Waterville on Wednesday.  Apparently it rarely comes from the east here.  Just my luck. It was getting a bit tiresome.  Stopped at Thompson Falls and was reading a historical notice about  the English explorer, David Thompson when the wind suddenly changed and started blowing from the west.  Took the chance and went with it.  Must have been about gale force as I got up to 29.4mph.  Felt a few drops of rain and on looking back, the sky was almost black.  Time to camp, which I managed just in time.  No wonder they have storm drains over here.



Update: Arlee, Montana (library).

No comments:

Post a Comment