Saturday, May 14, 2011

Day 9 - Wednesday 11th May 2011

Wenatchee to Coulee City          70.5 miles         DFP 373.5

Thought today would be easy.  Wrong.  Started off OK with 20 miles beside the Columbia River.  At Orondo, Highway 2 turns east and goes up, and up and up.  From 700ish to 2812 feet in about 6 miles.  That constitutes a little toughie.  Ron, I obviously wasn't listening when you told me about this.  Jose did mention last night there was a climb up to the plateau but I wasn't really expecting what I found. Didn't have to get off and walk but did look forward to the level ground at the top.  Wrong again due to the fair breeze, straight into my face until I reach Waterville.  "Thanks" to the lady in the library. Continued east with the wind more side-on from the right.  Spoke to a lady at a farm who mentioned I'd shortly pass through the coulee. When I reached it, it's impressive.  Previously an old river canyon with escarpments several hundred feet high and several hundred yards apart.  Now bone dry but previously a river flowing over a waterful (Palisades) several miles further south, which I'm told was bigger than Niagara.  Reached Coulee City, bought eats and just managed to erect the tent before a storm set in.  I actually camped in scrub just outside the official site to get some protection from the wind/rain and in the morning I asked a lady about a large eagle like bird I'd seen just overhead.  She didn't know its name but said it flew up and down the lake side searching for goslings by the water's edge and rattlers in the scrub.  GULP!!!!!!!

Updated: Sandpoint, Washington.

2 comments:

  1. Well done my cycling buddy. Just keep bumping into the right people. That's the way to do it!!!!Take care..and may the force be with you...whatever you choose your force to be. Fifi XXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete